Tuesday 2 August 2011

Sepia Saturday 86 : Saturday 6 August 2011


I have no idea what is going on in this photograph, but I am reliably informed that it was taken at the World's Columbian Exposition which was held in Chicago in 1893. I chose it because I was walking by a field the other day and I was reminded, yet again, what a mighty fine beast a cow is. I was determined to look for a suitable Sepia Saturday archive picture - and here it is. So, themers, take your pick : cows, statues, exhibitions, boating lakes, lamp-posts : the subject range is as wide as your imaginations. Sepia Saturday 86 will take place on or around Saturday 6th August 2011. Don't stand still like a statue - get moo-ving and get your submission lamp-posted.
SEPIA SATURDAY is a weekly meme which encourages bloggers to publish and share old images and photographs. All that is required is for contributors to post an old image (it doesn't have to be in sepia) and provide a few words in explanation. If you could provide a link back to the Sepia Saturday Blog and visit as many of the other contributors as you can, it would also be appreciated. There is no weekly theme, as such, but some people like to use the archive image published with the weekly call as a kind of theme. There is no requirement to adopt such an approach : the choice of image is entirely up to you. Once you have published your Sepia Saturday post, add a link to that post to the Linky List published each week and leave a comment to let everyone know you are joining in.


25 comments:

Baba Doodlius said...

Cows are yummy.

DougVernX said...

This theme is a lot of bull. :)

Rob from Amersfoort said...

Cows are beautiful creatures. There are a lot of them where I live. Sometimes I stop my car just to make a picture of them.

Bob Scotney said...

A mixture from Washington, no politicians in sight.

Rosie said...

I think I have finally figured out what the problem was with commenting. I had to go to Tools in Internet Options, Privacy, then lower the value of my Cookies.

I went with the statue theme this week. Happy Sepiasaturday to all!!

DougVernX said...

You can find a few curious cows on my post this week.

Postcardy said...

I have a book on the Columbian Exposition that shows those buildings, but the cow is nowhere in sight.

Postcardy said...

Check out the CowParade here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CowParade

Chicago had a CowParade in 1999 and has a permanent bronze casting now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CowParade_bronze_casting

Little Nell said...

I decided to go messing about in the river.

Unknown said...

I've just the thing in my found photo collection! Also referred back to an older post on the same theme. Go and see!

dakotaboo said...

Really enjoying the exhibitions photos. I have to admit I have recycle another of my old blog posts again this week as last year I posted a handful of vintage postcards from the Franco-British exhibition. I hpe no one minds me sharing them again (pretty sure they were not shared as a sepia saturday posting so hopefully new to most people).

tony said...

off-topic but I have a Bee in My Bonnet this week!

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Everybody!

My pictures are only from 1975, but they are of when we visited the Statue of Liberty. I'm so happy that you chose statues this week, Alan.

Happy Sepia Saturday to all, and I can't wait to see what everybody posted. Have a great weekend,

Kathy M.

Mike Brubaker said...

Must have been a fantastic place. How long did it take to construct it?

I'm on theme by an amazing coincidence of nicknames.

Karen S. said...

I'm a bit early for me, busy day coming tomorrow, and after viewing Bob S. post right away I was so inspired I had to be sure to get mine in quickly, rather than later. The cows yeah Crazy Like a Fox are a lot of bull but the good kind of bull and this big boy has quite a tale or tail (lol) to tell! Thanks Alan for giving me so much fun again...gosh if only you had been one of my teachers in school...!

Howard said...

Completely off-theme from me this week, my post is a tramcar accident.

Bruno Laliberté said...

a long photographic post, short on text, thankfully!! i didn't mean to be a themer, inspired by something i saw in the city this week. oddly enough though, Alan's prompt is right in cue for me. so, a themer, despite myself...

blame it on king Edward VII, or my razor that broke...

enjoy!!!
:)~
HUGZ

Alan Burnett said...

I'm fashionably off-theme again this week (but as the person who picks the theme, I think it is unfair if I follow it)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I tried to follow the theme but again a tenuous link. A statue. A British bull(dog).

Kristin said...

This week I have no cattle. I decided to share a photo I put up for wordless wednesday but I think you all will enjoy it.

Anonymous said...

off topic, but always some old photo goodness!

Unknown said...

Had a tough week had to combine a couple of posts. Not an old photo but a photo of an old place, for me today. I love that picture. There are plenty of cows around my neighborhood. As always I post before I look. Not a good idea sometimes. Almost like turning before you look both ways.
LOL
QMM

Tattered and Lost said...

I do have a photo of a cow but decided to stay with the "theme" I'd already started a few days ago: summer.

PattyF said...

Hi all! Better late to the party than never! I went with the "on the water" theme. Can't wait to read everyone's post!

mouse (aka kimy) said...

okay so i didn't find my inspiration in cows, statues, lampposts, or the other suggested themes...guess that's what happens when one does everything backwards! but it felt really good to get in a sepia saturday post before another 7 months went by....next time i'll visit first and try to pay attention to the theme!

of course now i'm thinking of old snaps i have in my stash with lampposts and statues!!